Monday, August 2, 2010

What we've been up to..

I know I haven't been great about updating our blog with updates on Matthew, I promise to get better, so this is going to be a marathon of updates.
So what have we been up to lately... We've had visitors, I finally put together our jogging stroller and Matthew had his first trip to Milledgeville!

Aunt Jori (one of my very best friends) came for a visit a few weeks ago. It was so great for her to spend time with Matthew and I while Jason was traveling.

Matthew just loves his Aunt Jori!

I finally put together our Bob jogging stroller and have been getting out with Matthew for morning walks. I can't wait until I can actually run with the stroller, but that will have to wait until Matthew is a little bigger.

Here we are ready to go!
We had a great visit from Janet & Brooke. Janet & I went to high school together. She was actually my inspiration to workout my entire pregnancy. We worked out together during her pregnancy and she made it look SO easy!

Brooke just loved meeting her future boyfriend!
And last week, I took Matthew on his first trip to Milledgeville to see his Nana & Papa. It was a fun time. His cousin Andrew was visiting too, and Andrew just loves Matthew. He is obsessed with his feet too - as he says "I like to lick them because they don't have bones and they are squishy"...



Jori's Mom, Beth, came to meet Matthew too!

Time continues to fly by! I go back to work in a month and I can't believe it. It's a little overwhelming to think about, so I've decided I'm not going to yet :)

Matthew continues to grow. I can't wait until his next pediatrician appointment to see how big he's getting, but his little thighs are definitely getting more meat on them. He is also sleeping really well at night. He sleeps for a 5-6 hour stretch, which is wonderful! We are definitely blessed.

I did make one of those first "tough Mom decisions" over the weekend. Before Matthew was born, I said that I would take breastfeeding in stride. We would do it as long as both Mom & baby were happy. When Matthew was born, we had some difficulty since he arrived early. I met with lactation consultants in the hospital and felt pretty confident when I left. We continued to have some difficulty, so another trip to the lactation we made. After that visit, I again thought we were on the path to success, but for the past 2 weeks, it was just flat out tough. I wasn't happy and I didn't want Matthew to feel the stress I was putting on myself. So after many conversations with other Moms, my mother-in-law and Jason, I decided to stop. It was a really tough decision, but I felt strongly that it was best so I could be a good (and happy) Mom to Matthew. I am continuing to pump, so he's actually still getting some breastmilk, but we've also started formula. I never imagined something that is suppose to be so natural would be so incredibly hard. Nor did I ever think I would have such an internal battle about making the decision to stop. I will say since making this decision, I feel as if a weight has been lifted off my shoulders. I guess that means I made the right decision.

So after all that, what could possibly be next for us!!?? Well my Aunt Josie is coming for a visit this weekend! Matthew will get to meet his great Aunt. We can't wait to see her!

4 comments:

  1. LOVE the photos.. he is soo soo cute!!! You will learn as a mom that you feel guilty if you do and you will feel guilty if you don't... in general about everything. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the pictures with Andrew! That is great you have had so many visitors. As busy as a day is with a newborn it is always nice to have another adult to talk too : )

    No one told me breast feeding would be so hard either! I shed many tears when Carson wouldn't nurse. You think it is the most natural thing in the world, but it is such a challenge. All Matthew needs is the love of his mama and he will be happy! Glad you don't feel the stress anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrew's comment is AWESOME! Remind him of it every time he visits so HE won't ever forget it...b/c I know you won't forget it!!!!
    Can't wait to hear how much Aunt Josie LOVES this little one. When is Uncle Pedro coming into town?

    ReplyDelete
  4. So great to read the update, Monica! Matthew looks great and so alert in all the pictures!! Seems like you guys are just having a blast together :)

    ReplyDelete